Mold is a microscopic fungus that grows in colonies. Under the right conditions, mold can attack drywall and organic materials in your house, such as carpet backing, papers, wood, and fiberboard. Mold is dangerous to human health and something you shouldn't mess with. Here are 10 interesting facts to know about mold removal.
1. Mold Requires Moisture and Food ThriveMold is an organism that reproduces microscopic spores that withstand harsh weather conditions and spread quickly over an area. These spores exist in the outdoor environment and can get into your home through open windows, doors, vents, and ducts. Once the mold finds its way in, they remain dormant until the conditions become favorable.
2. Over 10,000 species of mold existWhile there are thousands of mold species, only five of them are found indoors. These include:
Alternaria: It's common in buildings with some form of water damage. This species usually appears black, grey, or dark brown and has a wool texture. Exposure to this mold often leads to allergic reactions.
Aspergillus: Another common type of indoor mold, Aspergillus grows and thrives in warm weather. It usually appears grey, white, black, yellow, green, or brown. Aspergillus can trigger allergic reactions and cause respiratory infection as well as lung inflammation.
Stachybotrys chartarum: Black mold appears on damp surfaces and produces mycotoxins that can cause serious health problems such as asthma attacks, respiratory problems, sinus infections, fatigue, and even depression. It has a characteristic musty odor.
Cladosporium: One of the mold species that grow in cooler climates. It appears black or olive-green in color and can cause severe asthma attacks.
Penicillium: You will find this mold on wallpapers, carpeting, and home insulation. It appears blue or green and releases a strong, musty smell.
3. Mold grows fast stays hidden for a long timeWhen conditions are right - moisture, food, and warmth - mold will grow within 24 to 48 hours. Mold growth can stay hidden until the spores infest a large area of your property and cause severe structural damage. The reason is that mold usually starts growing in inconspicuous parts of your, like the inside of walls, behind leaky appliances, within insulation, inside the HVAC system, and in crawl spaces. Any other damp, warm, and dark place will ultimately attract mold. To prevent severe mold infestation, you need to watch the first signs of mold on your property. Musty smells and deteriorating household materials should prompt you to take quick and efficient measures to resolve the problem and get rid of mold before it wreaks havoc.
4. Mold growth is a sign of water damageMold won't grow unless there's a source of excess moisture in your home. If you haven't experienced a recent sewer backup or flood, you have no reason to worry about water damage. Mold presence, however, should alert you to a hidden problem. If you notice a musty odor in the attic or basement or see mold patches on the walls and ceiling tiles, investigate the issue further till you find the moisture source. A leaky roof, defective appliance, poor insulation, or a leaky water pipe might be the cause. In some cases, mold may arise from inadequate air exchange and moisture buildup due to laundry work or even indoor home plants. Mold testing can help you determine the type of mold present in your home and take steps to decrease mold growth.
5. Homeowner’s insurance may exclude mold damageDepending on the cause of mold, a typical homeowner's insurance policy may or may not provide coverage for mold damage. Suppose mold grows from a covered water loss such as accidental discharge or overflows from plumbing systems or defective household appliances; the insurance company will pay for mold remediation costs under your home insurance. Some insurance plans expressly state that they will not cover mold removal and remediation, regardless of the source. It's common knowledge that standard insurance policies don't cover water damage due to neglectful treatment. That means homeowners cant claim for long-tear roof leaks, drainage problems, condensation, or landscaping issues. Even if mold is covered, there might be limitations and a cap on the amount. If you'd like adequate coverage, buy a mold rider as an add-on to your standard insurance policy.
6) Mold can cause various health problemsMold is harmful to your health. Toxic black mold is particularly serious as it can lead to long-term health issues that can affect your blood vessels. Prolonged mold exposure can trigger allergies and cause many health problems such as:
Effects of mold exposure can vary from one person to another. However, children, older people, and individuals with underlying health conditions or weak immune systems are the most vulnerable. To avert these health problems, take steps to prevent mold growth in your home.
7) Mold is stubbornMold often grows and thrives in areas that are difficult to reach and remediate. Its spores can spread fast and take hold of your building materials, furniture pieces, linen, books, and other personal stuff. Since the spores grow within porous materials, the only way to effectively rid your home of mold is to discard the contaminated items. Self-help mold removal methods and all-purpose cleaners offer temporary relief to mold problems. Household bleach kills spores, but the dead spores can be as toxic as the living ones. Some mold species may stay dormant for months until the right conditions appear so they can regrow.
8. Mold removal is toughMold removal and remediation are risky jobs that are best left to the specialists. A professional mold remediation service can help you clear visible mold growth and tackle your mold problem, preventing mold growth in the future. Mold removal specialists use advanced equipment and commercial-grade cleaning agents to remove mold spores and disinfect the affected area. But first, they will uncover the location of hidden or dormant mold in your property. Once they perform the necessary remediation, your home will be entirely mold-free, fresh, and safe.
9) Mold growth is preventableMold remains a threat to homeowners across the country. Part of the reason is that modern building practices promote mold growth. Some building materials are porous and likely to harbor mold. Many homes are built to be energy-efficient, so they are air-tight and lack adequate ventilation. In some cases, plumbing lines run on the inside walls and insulation. Such practices can encourage mold growth. However, you can implement practical mold prevention measures to prevent mold growth on hard surfaces. Ensure good air circulation and control moisture in your home. Add insulation to your basement walls. Try to keep indoor moisture levels below 45%. If you're able to prevent excessive moisture, you have won half the battle with mold.
Remember to maintain your roofing system, plumbing, HVAC, and foundation. All these have the potential to encourage mold growth. Schedule regular mold inspection, and arrange mold sampling, especially after major storms or torrential rains. Early mold detection can stop mold spores from spreading further and taking over your home. If there are affected materials, make sure they're removed as they might be causing mold growth. You can avoid mold problems and even overcome mold by ensuring your home is moisture-free and adequately ventilated.
10) Mold can be usefulPeople associate mold with severe health problems. However, not all mold is harmful. Some mold species play a crucial role in the ecosystem. They may break down dead leaves and other organic matter and release it into the environment. Some species of mold also act as fermenting agents, while others are useful in making cheese. Mold is even used during drug production. Penicillin, a famous antibiotic, is actually purified mold.
Want to prevent mold growth or stop mold spores from spreading? Call us to professional mold remediationEach year, homeowners in the USA spend around 73 billion dollars to tackle mold problems. Knowing about mold facts helps you understand what you're up against and what to do to protect yourself. If you smell mold or notice visible mold growth on your walls or ceiling, contact the mold remediation experts at PACIFIC NW RESTORATION on 503-444-8909 for professional water damage and mold damage restorations in Newberg, OR. We've available 24/7 for emergency cases.
One of the worst situations for homeowners and business owners to discover in their building is water damage resulting from a flood, burst pipe, toilet overflow, sink overflow, storm damage, malfunctioning appliance, septic or sewer backup, or fire extinguishing activities. When there is standing or pooling water in any area of a building, it can begin to have severe side effects on the structural integrity of the building materials as well as anything in the home or office that the water touches.
If you find water in your home or business that needs to be extracted and the location sanitized, it is important that you contact an experienced professional who can offer thorough water damage restoration services as well as cleaning services in Beaverton, Oregon.
At Pacific NW Restoration, our water restoration technicians have the knowledge, skills, and experience to use the most up-to-date and advanced techniques in the restoration process. When your home or business has been flooded or affected by some type of water situation, call our Beaverton, Oregon, water and fire damage restoration specialists to find out how to begin the cleanup and recovery process.
Steps to Take Following a Flood or Other Water DamageWhen it comes to water damage, regardless of the cause, time is a critical factor in determining the extent of the water damage restoration service needed, the cost of the flood cleanup, and the time it will take to complete the process.
At Pacific NW Restoration, our water damage restoration experts understand the importance of getting the excess water extraction and the cleanup procedure started quickly, so we have put together some important steps for homeowners and property owners to take following burst pipes, a leaky pipe, sewage backup, or other forms of water damage.
Here are some of the most vital steps to take:
Was the Water Damage Caused by Firefighting Services?
In a traumatic event such as a fire, the affected areas will not only show signs of damage from the fire but also damage from the water used to extinguish the flames. Smoke cleanup (to get rid of smoke odors), soot removal, fire damage restoration, and water sanitizing services will all be necessary in these cases so the cleanup process will likely be more extensive.
Consider the Need for Mold RemediationAnytime there is standing water in a structure, the perfect environment may potentially be created for mold development. In places like basements, mold removal is usually especially critical because the moisture, darkness, and temperature all tend to be ideal for mold growth following an incursion of water.
Mold can have the potential to cause serious health hazards, especially to those who are already susceptible to respiratory issues, as well as harming the structural integrity of the building. Mold can grow on just about anything so your hardwood floors, walls, insulation, and high-touch surfaces could all be affected. As a property owner, it is vital that you maintain the integrity of your building, especially when mold is involved.
At Pacific NW Restoration, we are happy to evaluate your home or business for mold development and determine if our mold remediation services are needed. We use highly specialized equipment to find any hidden locations (such as behind walls or in the HVAC system) where mold colonies could be developing. In addition to the water damage cleanup efforts, we can ensure that you, your family, and all of your belongings will not be negatively impacted by mold through extensive mold remediation tactics.
Contact Us for Water or Fire Damage Restoration Services in Beaverton, Oregon
If your home or business in the Pacific Northwest has been affected by water, fire, or mold and you are in need of expert damage restoration from trained professionals, contact Pacific NW Restoration. We are proud to provide service to a wide variety of service areas in Oregon. Our team is certified to restore your home from water, soot, fire, smoke damage as well as mold damage.
We understand how devastating it can be to find water damage in your home or business, and our team of restoration experts are here to help. The building you live or work in is one of the most important investments you will make throughout your life and career, so it is important to maintain its structural integrity and your personal aesthetic. At Pacific NW Restoration, we keep your best interest at the heart of the water damage restoration process. From carpet cleaning to mold remediation, we will work diligently to bring your building back to its pre-loss conditions.
Contact Pacific NW Restoration in Beaverton, Oregon, today to learn more about all of the services we provide related to water damage, flood clean up, fire damage, and mold. We offer a quick turnaround time, and we are happy to work with your insurance company to ensure that your out-of-pocket expenses remain at a minimum.
Call us now to schedule an assessment of your water damage or to receive an estimate for our water damage restoration service for your home or business in Beaverton, Oregon.
Property damage can be quite stealthy. When damage persists over elongated periods, there is a high likelihood of gradual degradation of structural materials. If you notice any of the following seven signs of property damage, it is advisable to repair the destruction in a timely manner.
Whether you work at a hotel, office, health facility, school, or any other commercial or even residential property, you need to get back in business quickly after disaster strikes. You cannot afford to lose any more revenue. Disaster can strike in many forms including water, mold, fire, smoke, or a combination of them all. Yet, you should not panic. If you are in Forest Grove, OR, or the surrounding areas, get the best restoration specialists from Pacific NW Restoration. In addition to flood and water damage restoration, our team also does an excellent job with fire damage restoration, and mold remediation, among other services.
So, it is important to be able to tell if your property is sustaining damage. Below, we have a look at seven signs to look out for to know if you need professional repair services from a restoration company.
1. If the Paint is Cracking or Bubbling
You may notice your wall paint cracking or bubbling. This means there is water pooling behind the paint stretching is due to the moisture trapped behind it. This is a telltale sign of water damage and needs to be properly addressed. However, you will need the assistance of restoration experts because drywall is not easily assessable.
On the other hand, soft walls such as gypsum are quite porous, turning them soft and mushy due to the absorbed moisture. If the walls depress or become soft when touched, it is a clear sign that water damage occurred recently. This can cause structural stability issues and should be fixed immediately. Call our restoration experts in Oregon City if you notice these signs.
2. If your Floors are Buckling
The leading enemy for wooden floors is excess moisture. This can result in buckled floors, meaning the floorboards might warp, crack, get cupped edges, crown (rising in the center), or pull up from the subfloor. This can happen when excess moisture has built up suddenly or over time. Buckling can be a result of uncleaned spills resulting in contraction, lifting, or expansion of floorboards.
Also, if the indoor humidity keeps fluctuating, it might lead to the same situation. This is especially true for the weather in areas such as Happy Valley, Lake Oswego, Lake Forest, and other locations. We have our restoration experts in these regions that are well equipped to assist you.
3. If there are Water Stains on the Ceiling
The last thing you need is a leak in your commercial property. They can bring your business to a standstill making you lose revenue. If you notice dark or light brown stains on your office ceiling, it is a clear indication of water damage. It can be mistaken for aging paint, but even dark colors will still show water damage by discoloration.
The leaking ceiling might be caused by water damage due to various reasons. It could be that the roof was poorly installed allowing rainwater to leak onto the ceiling. It could also have something to do with faulty plumbing. If this is the case, property owners in Oregon and other areas should call us immediately to prevent your roof from collapsing. We offer our services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
4. If there are Odd Smells and Hear Strange Sounds
While you can see water damage, you can also use your sense of smell and hearing to detect it. Some water damage might not be visible. A small leak somewhere in your crawl space or office wall may not be noticeable.
However, you might pick up a musky smell from that direction and if you investigate, the chances are you will find more signs of water damage in that area. The musky smell most likely comes from the mold. Mold is not easy to remove. However, our professional commercial restoration company has the expertise and equipment to kill the mold and prevent further spreading.
Also, you can detect water damage by simply listening. For instance, if you hear running or dripping water, there is a high chance that you have a leak. While water may gush, drip, or flow through the property’s plumbing daily, listen carefully for sounds in the plumbing system that is foreign to your property.
5. If there is Discoloration on the Wall
As dirty water continuously runs down your property’s wall, it often leaves streaks behind. If you realize some brownish streaks running down the side of the exterior walls of your property, your roof might not be properly draining or your gutter might be overflowing. Call our roof restoration experts in Portland to remove debris or refit your gutter.
6. If you have Dirty Walls and Ceilings
After a fire disaster, sometimes it can be hard to find smoke damage. But, sometimes you might be lucky if you know where the fire started. You can check that area for smoke residue on the walls and ceiling. It might be harder to see the residue on darker walls than on lighter ones. For this reason, you should let our well-trained and equipped specialists do smoke and fire damage restoration, professionally.
7. If the Baseboards are Moldy
It is not unusual for areas with high humidity such as bathrooms to have mold infestations. However, when you find mold in baseboards of other rooms that are well-ventilated, you should get a little concerned. As a homeowner, you should enlist the help of our professional commercial restoration services in Forest Grove, OR. We will expertly peel the baseboards determine water damage, fix it, and re-install the baseboards.
Call In the Damage Restoration SpecialistsIf you have noticed any of the listed signs in your commercial property or home, the best solution is to call in the experts who provide commercial restoration services. The longer you ignore or delay calling in the experts, the higher the chances of incurring permanent damage.
Pacific NW Restoration offers our customers professional-grade restoration services including drying and water extraction services after flood damage in Forest Grove, OR, and beyond. We are not a franchise, but a family-owned and operated company offering the highest quality services throughout Portland and other areas.
Do not waste any more time. Call Pacific NW Restoration today at 503-455-5327 for all your commercial restoration needs and get a free estimate. You can also visit us at our offices at 7275 SW 195th Avenue #201 Beaverton, Oregon 97007-5524.